Friday 17 October 2014

The hill

From the fact that I start recognizing the voices of firstyears, that the rain is as good as gone and that the mornings and evenings get colder, I can derive that it is mid October now, and that it's been two months already since I came back to my hill. Indeed, more than half of third term is done, and I almost have a break down everytime I think of the 25th of May, that horrible day when I'll have to leave this place behind. 

In the last few weeks, there have been quite some times when I wished I didn't have to be here. I'm drowning in work, and am often very confused about what I'm doing, or, more importantly, what I'm not doing. If you'd ask me, UWC-life and the IB aren't good partners, but who am I to claim this. It's hard to get out of bed, because you know the only thing you'll do until you go to bed again, is sitting in classes and studying, or at least attempting to. The joy I see on the first years' faces, makes me nostalgic, and I long back to the days where everything happened in a spontaneous way, where I'd do what I did just because I wanted to do it, or because it felt right to do it. Planning everything neatly every day, doesn't feel right. It doesn't feel right that I have to decide on a slot in the day in which I allow myself to go see friends, or in which I allow myself to read the newspaper. It doesn't feel right to not go to a talk because I have a deadline coming up, or to skip the global affairs session because I need to work on my EE.

But still. Still. When I go running with Gabi at 5.45 and we see the sun dissapearing under the hilltops and when I hear the laugh of a friend who lives in another wada, and when my roommate almost jumps on me out of happiness because her country isn't going to war anyway, when I come in my room after a day of work and find a note on my desk as I switch on my fairylights or when a firstyear offers me cookies because she knows I'm going through a hard time, when I have another cup of 'magic apple' tea or when my firsyear allows me to eat her candy she got from home for her birthday, when I complain to my roomies because the coffee shop didn't have brownies again or when I just sit in the back of the lawn next to the pool with Carole and we don't need words to understand, that's when I realize that no matter how difficult things might get, this is still the place where I want to be, and love to be.

MUWCI is situated on a hill, in a valley, and that has a meaning. It stands for the ups and downs we all have to face here. "It's the climb", as my friend's icon Miley Cyrus would say. Hah. It stands for the challenges that come along our way, for the times we fall down, but also for the times of getting to the top of a hill, experiencing new sights and feeling proud of ourselves for reaching something. That is what MUWCI is actually all about :)

(This is way to deep, and I'm such a hippie, but I couldn't give a fuck. Yay!)

No comments:

Post a Comment