Friday 30 August 2013

two weeks- thoughts

Almost two weeks now! The first schoolweek is almost over and the summercamp-feeling slowly fades out. Sometimes,  I suddenly realize that I'm in India, I'm in Mahindra College, that this is really 'it'. These moments make me realize how lucky I am and make me appreciate MUWCI, even with its advantages and disadvantages. Indeed, there are disadvantages and people here intend to deny that. I think we shouldn't make this experience look like it's always easy and fun and all perfect. I also think that the difficult parts make this all so interesting, and better in a way, because perfect would be boring right?

Back in Belgium, at my other home, school is starting again very soon and everything and everyone will go back to their old habits and play the role they have to play. My friends at school will be complaining and the teachers will say how hard this year will be, like they said all the other years, and my brother will go back to boarding school and my other brother will go back to acting-like-he-studies and I will be here. And that's kind of sad, because I'm scared that I won't fit in when I come back and that I will be left out; forgotten. I know that that is a selfish thought, because I was the one who decided to go away and, don't get me wrong, I still think that it's the right decision and I would do the exact same thing if I could start over again.
It's very nice to have the people you like so close to you and people here actually say hi when you pass by. It's a huge difference, comparing to Belgium where people just pass by, looking at the ground and acting like they don't see each other. We can choose our subjects and I find classes very interesting because of that. I've chosen for English literature and language, Global Politics and Philosophy in HL (higher level), Environmental science, Maths and Spanish/French in SL (standard level). As students, we can actually laugh with the teachers and talk to them, visit them in their houses or eat with them in the cafetaria. We learn to think and reflect here, while in Belgium, we just had to learn what the teachers and books said and then we had good grades. We have a lot of homework, but most of the subjects interest me so it's not like Belgian homework :).

I love the MUWCI-people. The teachers, the staff, the students. Though it's not perfect at all, people appreciate you because of who you are as a person, not because of your popularity or looks or whatsoever. It's refreshing!

PS: I'll tell what happened in the last week in the next post, this is just about how I feel now.

1 comment: